Wednesday, May 30, 2007

You know that old superstition about cats being able to see ghosts? Well, around 3 a.m., both of my cats freaked out. They came tearing into my room and bounced on my bed, waking me up. Their fur was all puffed out, and Agape hunkered down by my pillow, staring intensely at the foot my bed and alternately growling and hissing. Walter was staring at the door to my bedroom and making little squeaky growly noises.

Naturally, this freaked ME out, so I grabbed the closest weapon (a book) and turned on all the lights, quickly replacing the book with a hammer (I had been hammering things in my bedroom earlier in the day). Brandishing the hammer, I looked for an intruder, but found none. I double-checked the locks on the door and made sure that the windows were secure.

I finally calmed down enough to go back to bed, but Agape and Walter were still on red alert. Their fur had gone back to normal, Walter wasn't growling anymore, and Agape's growls had subsided to an occasional rumble. Neither one showed the slightest inclination to leave the bed or approach the edges. They both continued to stare intensely at specific points in the room; Agape at the foot of the bed, and Walter at the doorway. What freaked me out the most was when Walter's gaze began to travel slowly across the room, and as her focal point crossed Agape's focal point, Agape's stare flickered to Walter's focal point for a moment, and she growled.

Eek.

Gradually they chilled out, and I was finally able to fall asleep again around 5. This morning they acted like nothing had happened.

No comments: