Tuesday, May 29, 2007

the world is not my oyster

So my bathtub is completely clogged. I took a cool bath the other night in an effort to fight the oppressive heat in my apartment (and it did wonders). But the water did not drain after I pulled the plug.

Having infinite faith in the power of large amounts of Drano, I went out and purchased some. I lugged the nasty chemicals up my stairs, poured them slowly over where I think the drain is, and sat back to wait. Actually, I went to see a movie, having full faith that my tub would be empty and bone dry by the time I got back. Not so. Now it's just a tub full of water and chemicals.

Thinking if I could bail out some of the water, I'd discover the problem, I started transferring water from the tub to the bathroom sink and the kitchen sink. It drained away slowly, and it seemed like I was making some headway, but then I noticed that water was bubbling back up into the tub from the drain. So, it would seem that my kitchen and bathroom sinks are connected to the tub, and that they're all clogged. Terrific.

So this morning, I had to get up extra early and go to the boyfriend's apartment to shower. This is not a convenient arrangement.

In a fit of idiocy (uncaffeinated distraction?), I left my cellphone at the boyfriend's apartment. Clearly, this thing has me frazzled. I don't know my landlord's number - I programmed it into the phone and promptly forgot it - so I can't call him. I sent him an email instead (using lots of extraneous punctuation and capitalization, to emphasize the direness of the situation), and I hope he checks his email this morning. Best-case scenario, he'll call a plumber and my tub will be empty and bone dry by tonight. But, since I'm in a glass-is-half-empty kind of mood, I'm inclined to think that the situation won't be easily resolved, and I'm going to have to shower at the boyfriend's again tomorrow morning (because I'm certainly not going to work unshowered in this heat, echh). This puts a serious crimp in my plans for the evening. Can I stay out late and get up early? I'm not Superwoman, you know.

No comments: